Re: Calibration check of pitot static systems

Subject: Re: Calibration check of pitot static systems
From: John Anselmi <janselmi@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 22:28:56
Attached is a copy from my old gliding maintenance manual for the
construction of a simple water manometer for calibrating an ASI.  A fish
tank air pump and a small valve make an easier to use system than the
syringe illustrated.

If plastic tube is used for the water part of the manometer, a little
dish-washing detergent should be used in the water so that it does not
"stick" on the tube but flows smoothly.

Comparative runs with increasing "air speed" and decreasing "airspeed"
should be done to establish the degree of instrument lag.

Be careful not to exceed the ASI travel range or damage may be done to
the instrument.

John Anselmi

Cripps, David wrote:

>As part of my annual permit renewal, my new UK PFA inspector has asked me to
>carry
out a check of the pitot static system and instruments. I have located somewhere
to get the ASI and altimeter checked and calibrated as separate instruments,
but what is the best way to check out the plumbing of the pitot static
system? Also, do other people test their pitot static instruments 'in situ', by
adding pressure/vacuum directly to the pitot head? This would appear to test
the whole system - but how would you know whether any errors lay in the
instruments
or in the plumbing.