Re: Calibration check of pitot static systems

Subject: Re: Calibration check of pitot static systems
From: M.J. Gregory <m.j.gregory@talk21.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:24:43
In addition to any set piece calibration test performed as part of the
annual inspection, pilots should be alert for symptoms of pitot static
system problems at any time.  An unusual reading may be caused by an
unserviceable instrument, a leakage or a blockage in the system.

Instruments are normally reliable, but linkages can fail, needles may stick
(or fall off!).  Major failures will be obvious, but a sticking mechanism
may give a more subtle false reading that may be noticed only by cross
checking cruise airspeed against RPM, or by timing rate of descent against
changes in altitude and the VSI readings.

The possibility of a leakage as a result of the connectors not sealing
properly when fitting the wings on the Europa must always be considered.
The static pressure is not likely to be affected greatly, since the cockpit
and wing root connector pressures are not going to be much different from
that of the static head sensor.  However, a leak in the dynamic line will
cause the ASI to under read (including reading 0 if you fail to connect at
all!).

Blockages may be the result of failure to remove the pitot cover/static
plug, ice formation, ingress of water, dirt or insects, or a kinked or
crushed line.  These will cause an absent, slow or erratic response to
changing dynamic or static pressure.

I don't want to spread and doom and gloom so as to undermine your confidence
in the instruments.  What I am suggesting is that you keep an eye on what's
going on when conditions are good, and investigate any inconsistencies, so
that your instruments will give you accurate information when you need to
rely on them.

Fly safely

Mike
Europa Club Safety Officer