Crowbar installation

Subject: Crowbar installation
From: William Mills <combined.merchants@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:47:19
All,
In case anyone else is contemplating fitting the Club Mod to fit a crowbar
device
to protect A/C avionics from high volts alternator failure (run-a-way), fitting
a 5A fast blow fuse in stead of a circuit breaker does not work.  I fitted
one because I thought it would do the same job, but I was mistaken.  It must
have blown quite early in the first flight owing to a "voltage spike" so the
alternator circuit was isolated and the voltage dropped back to 12v.  I reduced
the electrical load and continued the flight, but when I subsequently
investigated
the problem I saw that the 22,000uf capacitor had blown leaving fluid and
soot everywhere.  Fortunately, it appears that the capacitor had protected
the alternator and regulator from a more expensive repair, so I was lucky.  I
have now fitted a delayed action 5A fuse which seems to be OK until I next
remove
the panel, when I shall fit the 5A circuit breaker, as specified in the mod.
Regards,
William