Re: Diesel

Subject: Re: Diesel
From: M.J. Gregory <m.j.gregory@talk21.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 19:47:08
Following Kevin Taylor's request for news of the Wilksch diesel, I forwarded
the correspondence so far to Mark Wilksch and asked him to provide a
definitive progress update for the Europa Forum.  Below is his response.

Build safely

Mike Gregory
Europa Club Safety Officer
m.j.gregory@cranfield.ac.uk

The reason to use the Thorp is that is a simple docile trainer type ideally
suited to our syndicate of 10-12.
This aircraft will be used by a syndicate headed by Paul Shenton. The idea
is to log as many hours as fast as possible, well ahead of what any customer
will do.

WAM will keep a watchful eye on the engine of course (via a CI-Log unit). I
am a member, but the syndicate is independent and not part of WAM. The
majority of members are airline pilots as it turns out.

This is a production engine with a few minor exceptions like fittings,
exhaust etc.

John Tempest visited today (6 Jan) and the remaining paperwork should only
take a few days. (see MPEG of engine running on the Thorp)
<http://www.wilksch.com>

Brien Nelson has just finished the avionics check out and will now swap back
onto converting (the very patient) Bill Wynne's Europa to the production
engine.

The Europa cowling will be moded after the Thorp test flights. This will be
aimed at improved appearance and eliminating the oil cooler. (the oil
cooling scheme is now on the Thorp cowl)

Graham S now has the footwell mods ready (Classic and XS) and is putting
together documentation to assist Europa customers with the Europa
installation.
While WAM is supplying a generic installation manual, Graham is handling the
specific Europa differences. His new fuel system bits will certainly solve a
few problems. We have an arrangement whereby Graham provides a support
service free to WAM engine booking holders.

Other news not yet on www site: our air bleed system has worked very well on
bench test. This can supply air instruments while eliminating the need for a
vac pump and expensive regulator. We are using a slightly moded version of a
reg that you usually see an your gas BBQ and it performs very well! Thorp
has vac pump but Europa will use bleed system - nice weight and space
saving.

The structural mods to the Europa have been simplified and now weigh less.
Ask Graham for details. The first to be ready looks like being Paul Atkinson
with Jim Lawn close behind. I think Paul has now fitted the G-Flight
footwell mods.

All efforts are being put into the WAM-120 at the moment, as the WAM-160
becomes easy when the -120 is fully productionised. The recent holdup has
been waiting for timing gears. We have had to change materials and heat
treatment to eliminate wear. The 120HP engine should be running again
tomorrow. Thorp will be upgraded from 100HP engine to 120 after the first
few flights. We have done plenty of running with the 120HP rating and are
happy with the robustness. The only problem that stopped us was the gears
(not actually to do with the power rating). Sounds confusing but believe me
you don't want to know the full details (unless you are studying
metallurgy).

Please pass this on to the "forum". I used to enjoy participating in it but
had to stop as the time involved became a problem. I prefer to rely on you,
Graham etc to keep me informed.

Regards............ MARK