Europa-List: New, NEW List Digest Format...

Subject: Europa-List: New, NEW List Digest Format...
From: Matt Dralle <dralle@matronics.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 23:03:33

Dear Listers,

Okay, so I woke up this morning to an email box full of hate-mail about the
new List Digest format.  I thought it was cool, but I guess not...  Still,
it seemed like too much code to just throw out, so I've modified things a
little and I'm hoping everyone will be happy with the new, NEW
arrangement.  Here's how it works now:

        o The HTML and TXT enclosures aren't sent in the Digest any longer.

        o URL Links to the HTML and TEXT versions of the day's Digests
          will be found at the top of the digest email.

        o The new Digest Index will be found at the top of the digest email
          following the URL Links.

        o The full digest text will then be found in the email as before.

        o All of the previous Digests will now be available on line.  The
          URL for the main digest page is:

                http://www.matronics.com/digest

          From here, you can drill into the specific List Digest of interest.

        o Both the HTML and TXT versions of the Digests can be found here.

        o The List Message Trailer will contain a Link directly to the given

        o Right now there's only one Digest shown, but each day there will
          be another.  They will be sorted with the newest at the top.
          Left-hand column is the HTML version, right-hand column the TXT
          version.

A couple people also complained that some messages in the HTML version were
just one long line that went off to the right forever and they hated
that.  Come to think of it, this is also an issue in the Search Engine,
List Browser, and Archive Browser.  Some email programs don't included hard
Returns at regular intervals and that's what causes this.  I wrote a
program tonight that will automatically chop these long lines into 78
characters or less and wrap the rest of the line.  After tonight's Archive
transfer, all of the Searching and Browsing tools shouldn't have the
problem any longer either.  Woo hoo!

So, back to the new Digest format.  What people are going to see in the
new, NEW Digest is a bit of verbiage at the top of the email describing the
URL links to the HTML and TXT on-line versions, followed by the Links,
followed by the day's Index, followed by the day's messages just as
before.  Lines longer than 78 characters will also be automatically wrapped
onto the next line.

Hopefully this will be a more pleasing arrangement for everyone.  Sorry to
get everybody so stirred up over the format change!

The List of Contributors is coming out tomorrow night...  Still time to
make that Contribution!  http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Best regards,

Matt Dralle
Email List Admin.