Re: Cold Starting Rotax 914

Subject: Re: Cold Starting Rotax 914
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:17:35

> >Has anyone experienced a similar situation and do you have any suggestions?
>Gary,
>We have a similar problem.
>It's our third winter now and our third battery.
>Although the battery (lead-acid, 30Ah) tests ok and seems to provide
>enough power, replacement did solve the problem each time.
>This winter we decided to try a light weight (5,4kg) high current battery
>of the type they often use in race cars.
>The problem disappeared instantly and our 914 starts flawlessly again.
>Henk & Bart

Henk,
Happy New Year, you should be using modern RG hi current batteries anyway.
We found that 17AH was plenty big enough, others have used 12AH. The old
wet lead acid types are not really good enough and much too heavy.
Especially with there ability to leak. Wast3e of time, as you have
discovered. Ask the factory why they don't sell you a decent one.
Regards, hope to see you in 03, especially if we find the place in France!
Graham