Re: Attaching trim tab

Subject: Re: Attaching trim tab
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:43:15

>With the hinges attached to the trim tabs, is there a good way to
>clamp these hinges to the trailing edge of the tailplane while
>drilling holes for the bolts

Andrew - sorry to be so long replying, hope it may still be relevant.
I checked back in my journal and found that I bandsawed a piece of
wood to the shape of the hinge recess so as to hold the hinge against
the face of the flange while drilling. The two tailplanes closeouts
were slightly different sizes so I had to use thin shims or wedges to
get it fitting firmly. I also found it essential to restrain the
whole tailplane (a temporary fence across the back of the layup
table), as I was pushing the trim-tab against the tailplane to
maintain its position while drilling. The tab had to be tilted up a
bit because the wood occupied the space where the tab LE belongs at
neutral. It's important to use new or properly resharpened drill bits
for making holes in those hinges as the material seems quite hard!
Hope that all makes some sense.

regards

Rowland