Re: Europas on top in France

Subject: Re: Europas on top in France
From: Paul Atkinson <paul@theatkinsons.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 17:22:05
Alan

My information maybe out of date  now but I did some flights from
Meribel  about 8 years ago in a French aircraft with someone who knew
what they were doing. Then you had to be checked out with a local
instructor before they would let you land there on your own. I remember
talking to someone from Paris who had flown down to the nearest "flat"
airport and then got a lift up to Meribel just so that he could get a
piece of paper signed before he completed the final leg to Meribel. They
were pretty strict then, but understandably so. Personally I wouldn't
want to fly in there without having had someone show me the ropes. It's
certainly worth the investment though.
What sticks in my mind even now is the advice given for an engine
failure on take-off, which was to aim for a little plot by the church
which is the only flattish area within gliding distance but too short
for a "landing". Appropriately it was right next to the graveyard.
Of course with the glider wings this would not be an issue. I imagine
you could outglide the valley until you found a thermal to take you back
to where you started from :-)
If you don't get hold of Remi you can email the Aeroclub at
a.c.meribel@wanadoo.fr or tel 04 79086133. There were a number of Engish
speakers there when when I went.
Let me know how you get on, I have a vague plan to follow you when I
finally get mine flying.

Paul