Re: Instrument panel placards

Subject: Re: Instrument panel placards
From: Paul Atkinson <paul@theatkinsons.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:10:49
I mentioned a little while back that I was having some placards made up
by a local sign shop. I now have them stuck to my panel and am very
pleased with result. If anyone is interested in going down a similar
route here are a few details.
The system used is called Gerber Edge which I am told is commonly used
by sign makers. It is Apple based so will recognise any common mac file
types, for PC users it can cope with Autocad DXF files as well. If you
can't produce a file it can recognise a printed image can be used, which
can be scanned in and and thermally printed onto vinyl sheet in any
colour/s you like. The system will cut your labels to size and make any
cutouts you need for instruments, switches etc.
If you just need labels without cutouts any word processor will do the
job, but if you need accurately located holes, as I did, a basic CAD
program is all you need. I used Autosketch.
The vinyl sheet is pretty hard wearing on its own but I had my labels
laminated with an anti graffiti film which is resistant to most
chemicals and gives an extra layer of protection against scratches etc.
If you haven't already cut holes in your panel you could use this system
to produce a cutting template for the panel as well as the labels.
Any sign shop or printer with this system should be able to do the job
but if you are in the UK you could use the shop that I did, thus
avoiding some of the trial and error that we went through before
arriving at the method that worked for me. They are Johnson Signs at
Carnforth.
Email sales@johnson-signs.com. tel 01524 733218.

Paul Atkinson