Re: Fuel system questions

Subject: Re: Fuel system questions
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 09:45:07
KARL HEINDL wrote:

> I mounted the mini-gascolator and also the fuel pump right next to the nose
> gear
> frame against the tunnel wall, there is just enough clearance.
> I also installed the Europa drain kit, it is mandatory in Canada. In my
> opinion,
> though, it is a complete waste of time and money, as the actual drain point is
> few centimeters up from the bottom of the tank, which could still be full of
> water in theory.

On my trigear, I shortened and bent the pickup tubes downward, and
they are as far fwd as possible and contact the tank bottom.

I tested it thoroughly in all attitudes.  The tank drains will remove
water, in level attitude, to below where the fuel outlets will pick it
up. This means that water can be detected from tank drain samples
before finding any in the gascolator. Unfortunately there can still be
a residual amt of water, which in nose low attitude, will travel to a
gascolator and once it fills, it goes to the engine.

If only a gascolator is installed, and any water is drained from it,
seems to me that the aircraft is then grounded until all water in the
tank is removed, which will not be easy!

Regards,
Fred F.