Re: Whelan Strobes

Subject: Re: Whelan Strobes
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:25:44
Hi Mike,

     I mounted the power supply to the plywood beneath the baggage
bay shelf. I ran light weight 1/2" PVC pipe (used for drip sprinkler
systems) through the wings for wire conduit.
I mounted the strobes to flat bases slightly recessed into the tips, as follows;

1. I made a cardboard template the size of the strobe base, with small
tabs on the front and rear, and cutouts for the bulb/wires.
2. Center the template on the wing tip and cut an opening in the tip that size
(the size of the strobe base), except do not cut out for the small tabs.
3. Layup three plies of BID on a flat surface, with peel ply both sides. The
BID layup should be big enough for two of the templates.
4. When the BID is set up, mark for the templates on the BID and cut two
fiberglass mounting bases out, where each is the size of the strobe base, with
small mounting tabs front and rear (I suppose 3mm ply could be used instead of
a BID layup).
5. Use 5-minute epoxy to bond the fiberglass bases to the inside of the wing
tips,
where only the small tabs (front and rear) actually touch.
6. Layup two or three plies of BID from the inside of the wing tip, bonding the
mounting
bases to the inside of the wing tips.
7. After the layups have set up, clear out the bulb/wire openings, drill the
bases
for
the strobe mounting screws and attach anchor nuts for the screws.

Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD

Dr Mike Toft wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am busy fitting a set of Whelan strobes to my XS wings and was wondering if
I could impose on your collective wisdom as to how anyone has fitted them - do
you use a ply wood base plate bonded to the tips - where do you recomend
installing
the power unit - are there any hidden snags. Thanks to all for the bulkhead
information - certainly clarified it all and made it one heck of a lot easier
to do.