Re: Navaid (Interference from Radio)

Subject: Re: Navaid (Interference from Radio)
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremycrdavey@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:16:27
Sounds like this pretty prevalent. Having now had dinner (and Nic did a
superb chili - sorry for the diversion from topic), I've dug out the threads
of emails about it and have pasted them below.

Regards,
Jeremy

Europa XS Monowheel G-EZZA

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III"
<bob.nuckolls@cox.net>

>--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Sam Buchanan <sbuc@hiwaay.net>
>

>"Robert L. Nuckolls, III" wrote:
> >
> > --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III"
> <bob.nuckolls@cox.net>
> >
> > >--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Michel Therrien
> <mtherr@yahoo.com>
> > >

> > >Hello friends,
> > >
> > >For those of you using a Navaid Devices autopilot with
> > >a VFR panel (no VOR and only 1 VHF), do you (or should
> > >I) connect the optional diode to the PTT switch?
> > >
> > >I'll be using an Apollo SL-40 COM.
> >
> >     I'm mystified as to what the Navaid has to do
> >     with any wiring to the PTT switch.  On who's
> >     drawing is the diode mentioned and what notes
> >     support the option decision?
> >
> >     Bob . . .
>

>Bob, the diode is intended to momentarily disconnect the servo from the
>control head (I don't recall if it interrupts power or signal) when the
>PTT is activated. Apparently there have been some cases where RFI or
>something upset the servo during radio transmissions. The diode is shown
>on Navaid's installation diagrams.
>
>I included the diode in my Navaid installation even though I have no
>idea if it is necessary. The only downside of it is when I have allowed
>the plane to get significantly out of trim due to fuel imbalance; a
>slight roll will occur when the PTT is used.

   Interesting!  If  you can't live with the stress, just shut it
   off during stress . . . I'm not sure I'd take that approach
   to solving an RF interference problem but I guess it would
   work.

   Bob . . .

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III"
<bob.nuckolls@cox.net>

>--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: John Schroeder
><jschroeder@perigee.net>
>
>Sam -
>
>I believe that some of the problem here is that "PTT" has taken on too
>many meanings to be of use as an acronym - at least on this list. One
>is: Push-To-Talk. Another is: Push-To-Test, and yours is
>"Push-To-disconnecT. Maybe someone on the list can can come up with a
>more descriptive acronym for your situation.
>
>Mine is "APED": Auto Pilot Emergency Disconnect

     Bizjets have buttons called "Wheel Master Disconnects"
     that shut down all motor driven flight control surfaces
     (a/p and trim servos) with the press of a single button.

     There's another button on some aircraft called "Control
     Wheel Steering" that disconnects autopilot steering for
     duration of switch depression. Once released, the a/p
     resumes it's last condition.

     In this case, a "PTT" input to the autopilot is somewhat
     analogous to "Control Wheel Steering" in that it temporarily
     disables the autopilot . . . but for the wrong reasons.

      Bob . . .