Re: Navaid (Interference from Radio)

Subject: Re: Navaid (Interference from Radio)
From: Alexander P. de C. Kaarsberg <kaarsber@terra.com.br>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:50:06
Hi Mark,

Although this story does not relate to any Europa I remember some 20
years ago a 747 from Pakistan on stop in Copenhagen, just after takeoff,
the rudder (a very large one...) deflected fully to one side and almost
made it crash......after lots of troubleshooting without being able to
replicate the problem they flew off again only to have it happen again!
At some point a bright person realized that it happened at the time the
flight engineer hit the ptt switch to report takeoff on the HF to home
base....and the problem was found in the lack of proper shielding in the
lead to the antenna- the HF system sends high energy to the antenna and
must be well shielded.
I would go for attacking the problem, not finding a way around it....it
might even better the performance of the radio.

Alex, kit 529