Re: Fuselage cradle

Subject: Re: Fuselage cradle
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:23:49
Peter Field wrote:

> I am a new builder hopefully taking delivery of a new trigear kit very soon.
> I have thought of making the cradle as used in a plane is born but cannot
> locate decent drawings for it. Anybody out there got good drawings or even
> a second hand unit they want to sell?

For the trigear, I found that the design of a "cradle" is not
critical.  The only important job it will do is when the main gear is
set up, so it needs only to be reasonably rigid, height-adjustable,
not interfere with main gear placement, and ability to work underneath
the fuselage in that area.  IOW, review that part of the manual
carefully.  I made a simple dolly with 2x4's, 8-feet long and c. 48"
wide, with locking casters.  Four vertical 1x4's secure to holes in
fuse sides at the joggle, with height-adjusting slots in the 1x4's and
machine  screws/washers/wing nuts.  Took only an hour to construct.

Regards,
Fred F.