Bob's Clamps

Subject: Bob's Clamps
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:06:55
Cheers, mates
            While waiting for engine mounting details, I opted for the Bob
Harrison tailplane aft pitchtube clamps which I believe will allow me to fly
my Europa without a nagging feeling that I will eventually suffer the stab
'slop' mentionned earlier in a few machines. I accept that it may easily be
induced by wear between mechanical drives and the tube, and that Bob's
solution was to be my own, in view of the fact that my machine will see a
good deal of rough ground and is a prime candidate here in Canada and the
states. Our airfields and population will not sustain the level of airfield
surface maintenance found in Europe.
            The parts are accurately machined and carefully designed. The
application is finely devised to clamp three vital tubes into one function.
The directions are concise but informative - but must be read and understood
for maximum effect. The sequence is critical, but easily achievable and I am
most content with the result. There was NO motion between my previous
sections as originally built and I am certain Bob's device will assure that
in future. If not, it will become a universal problem.
            Please understand I have no financial, emotional or even
religious interest in the device - I just wanted to explain my reaction to
it.
Happy landings,
Ferg A064