Re: Steve Genotte - Re: Trailer for sale or rent

Subject: Re: Steve Genotte - Re: Trailer for sale or rent
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 22:38:09
Hi All,

Strange... how did this email get through with an attachment?  I thought
attachments were filtered out from the mailing list?

My recommendations to anyone on the list are not to open *ANY* attachment
unless you know for sure what it is - a modern virus or worm may cause you
some serious problems.  Note the attachment to this email had a file called
"~$DRAPER.doc.exe" - which immediatly rings bells in my head - "~$" are not
normal characters for a file name, but more importantly, the ".doc.exe"
extensions - it's only the last ".*****" that's important and if it has more
than one "." it's suspect.  The ".doc" part isn't important, it's the ".exe"
you need to worry about - try and open it and you are probably buggered
(can't think of any other word!).

In simple terms - DON'T OPEN AN ATTACHMENT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHO SENT IT AND
WHAT IT IS.

Cheers,
Mark.

p.s. Gerry, please do a virus scan of your computer.

p.p.s. I'm not saying this was a virus, I'm at home and won't risk my home
computer finding out (if I was at work, I could have opened it on another
computer to find out more about it) - but it looks very suspect to me.

p.p.p.s. I just noticed that this cane from Gerry to me directly -
pretending to come from the list - which is why the attachment got
through... very suspect.  GERRY, PLEASE DO A VIRUS SCAN ON YOUR COMPUTER.
Mark Jackson - +44 (0)7050 645590
europa-builder@ntlworld.com
http://harley.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~mark/Europa