Gear Warning

Subject: Gear Warning
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 22:18:20
"> >From my flying experience, I don't believe you are likely to
inad-vertantly land> a Europa with the flaps (and gear) up, the sight
picture is different than with> them down.

Unfortunately it has been done, several times. I have personally witnessed
two incidents, and have heard of several others. The fist was after a bulked
landing and go around at a busy gliding site with lots of distractions. The
subsequent circuit was flown slow waiting for the runway to clear, so there
was no excess speed to bleed off. Gear extension was forgotten due to the
pilot being preoccupied by what was happening on the ground.  The landing
was up hill, this together with needing more power than usual due to being a
bit low on final meant the picture looked normal and a perfect wheel up
landing was made."

            Of course, nearly everybody is right when the argument over gear
warning erupts. One man's experience is not enough on which to base a credo.
However, if you ARE going to devise a gear warning based on low power and no
wheel(s), it is best tested on every landing. At Flying Training School we
were advised to pull back the power  - halfway down the final approach (+/-
250 feet AGL) - if the horn didn't blow, you had to make a visual check to
verify gear down. At least the practice kept the gear-up possibility evident
in the mind. So, I think if it's important to you, there should be a horn
(?) check at 250ft and a standby visual or mechanical indicator built in.
            Also, the most important safety device in the sky is your brain.
The minute an unusual event occurs - tighten up and concentrate on flight.
NO call from the tower nor activity diversion is more important than what
you are doing. Some enroute and tower agents, marshallers and operations
directors often forget that. Don't let them do it.
Ferg
A064