Re: Primer and Paint

Subject: Re: Primer and Paint
From: kpav <kpav@uia.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:13:26
On 9/13/02 11:32 AM, "Jim Thursby" <athursby@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Also be aware that over time, a coat of smooth-prime that was originally
> sanded with 320P one day after spraying  will start to smooth over the
> scratch. In other words after a week your 320P scratch may now be 500P or
> 600P. It's still thru curing for a while. Point being, don't sand your parts
> on Monday with 320P and paint on Saturday and hope to have good adhesion.
> You may not. BTW I don't believe adding another coat of primer/sealer over
> your smooth-prime just before topcoating has any effect on adhesion. Your
> still putting a wet layer down with a mechanical bond only.  If you are
> trying to hide multiple colors of primer or something then a sealer coat is
> wise, but not for adhesion. More wet coats can give you problems such as
> dye-back and solvent entrapment.
>
> James Thursby

Hi Jim!
 Could you give me your latest phone # or contact information? Best to
contact me directly at kpav@uia.net.
I helped Jim McGinnis get his airplane ready to fly and he needs help in
some initial flying. I have some ideas about this and would like to talk
with you about this specific circumstance. I offered to help him directly
but so much is going on in my life right now I doubt I will be able to get
together with him in a timely fashion. Can you help??
kp