Re: Fuel Tank - initial cleaning

Subject: Re: Fuel Tank - initial cleaning
From: J R \Bob\ Gowing <gowingjr@acr.net.au>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:10:55
OK Duncan and Terry, I accepted your advice.

I dissolved 4 tablespoons of common salt in a bucket of warm water, flushed
the tank by turning the cockpit module upside down and back and forth and
then siphoned out through a navy blue piece of panty hose.

Then I mixed a bucket of warm water and detergent and repeated the exercise.

And again in cold water.

On each occasion I got out some tiny flecks of hacksawed tank material. The
flecks got bigger each time and the last had a couple of hairs and a  single
long piece of what appeared to be fluffy polypropolene was about 1/4 inch
long. In total I guess the residue would have been less than 1/4 of a
teaspoonful.

Then I put the hose in the tank and flushed water until the bubbles stopped,
siphoned away the remaining water and took the module back inside.

Thank you for the push fellas, I feel better for having done the exercise
and unloaded a potential engine stoppage.

When I did the initial vacuum cleaner job I would have got out a big piece
of fluffy polypropolene about 3/4 inch dia and a teaspoonfull of dust.

JR (Bob) Gowing, Kit 327 in Oz