Re: [Flying] Best Glide

Subject: Re: [Flying] Best Glide
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:28:06
 IMHO when using a
> VP
> propeller it's most coarse setting should be the minimum "GO ROUND"
> setting in the event of system failure.

This is required by the FAR.23 constant speed propeller test flight programme.

To establish the limit, the prop is set to coarse and a Vne dive performed to
check that the engine doesn't overspeed. With the prop locked at that setting
a baulked approach is performed and the aircraft must be able to climb out on
a 3% climb.

Believe me, having done this as part of the Airmaster CS Prop flight test
programme, it can be quite entertaining correctly establishing the coarse
limit.

Tony