Re: Classic Stainless Exhaust

Subject: Re: Classic Stainless Exhaust
From: david.hillam@cwctv.net
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:21:55
--1029709315146

Yes, I had a similar problem but not as bad as yours.  I took an hour or two to
reduce/smooth the fitting surfaces to get the front port side to fit.  I think
it is now OK but I haven't tried to remove it yet and the plane hasn't flown.

A further problem that I have is that the captive flanges and studs have
distorted
when tightened to 177 lb in.  I posted a message about this a week or two
ago but it didn't appear.  Discussion with Graham Singleton and Kim Prout
suggested
this is a common problem with the Mark 1 Classic and I understand that there
are some special locking bolts available that prevent loosening when tightened
to lower torque settings. I intend to give them a try.

The exhaust systems appear to be a Europa weakness.  My original mild steel
system
did not fit.  Europa wanted to cut the tubes and re-weld them. I was unhappy
with that and ended up having to buy a new stainless system (at only a very
modest discount!).  Unfortunately, all the SS systems in their stock were faulty

and it took several weeks to get all the parts.  I now await their comments on
the
distorted flanges and studs.

The moral of the story? - do your own quality control because Europa and their
supplierss seem to have some problems in this area.

David Hillam
#113 (soon to fly!)

David Hillam

--1029709315146