Re: Live Europa Chat

Subject: Re: Live Europa Chat
From: Europa Club Membership Secretary <europaclub@rowil.clara.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:40:01

>I've been thinking it would be nice if the Europa building community could
>get together live once a month or so and have a live "Chat room"

I hope this doesn't sound defeatist or NIH after the great
face-to-face chats we have had at Cranfield (yes, I'm back now after
helping the tear-down crew last night and today), but my first
reaction is "why?".

For me, the great feature of e-mail and e-mail lists is that I don't
have to be at the Mac at any given time, I can pick up the day's
traffic whenever it suits me (like the 293 messages which accumulated
for me while I was away at the Rally).

I'm open to explanations of the advantages of live chat "rooms"
compared with e-mail lists (when the latter work properly, of
course!).

I am not familiar with the workings of AOL instant messenger (as I
couldn't see any point in having it, it took me ages to get rid of
the pesky thing when it installed itself along with Netscape) so I'm
not clear if the following points are obvious once it's been used.

Would (or could) the "chat" in the "room" be echoed to the Europa Forum?

Or would/could it be archived to Andrew Sarangan's list archive?

Or is it the intention only to discuss trivia which would be
guaranteed to be of no interest to anyone unable to "enter" the "chat
room" at the specified time? I guess that might be the case, as
anything needing an urgent answer is unlikely to be saved up for a
week to be put to a (likely) much smaller group.

If the above "automatic" methods of making the contents available to
the wider community are not practicable, perhaps someone might
volunteer to note and copy to the Forum any messages which could be
of general interest. (As a minute-taker at too many meetings already,
I apologise in advance for not doing it!)

regards

Rowland