Sleeving Outrigger Pivot bolts

Subject: Sleeving Outrigger Pivot bolts
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:14:12
Nigel,
If the Europa Club is "The Europa Flyer", well I have been a member for a few
years now, with the exception of this current year when I have taken  a year
off. I was inundated with paper, both for work and my Europa project, and as my
Europa motivation was waning I decided to give it a rest. Much to my surprise i
am now reinvigorated and happily back on my Europa hobby horse, but to
definitively answer your question, no.... not at the moment. I suppose I should
rejoin but I am so far back in the build I figured I had enough information...
what with 80 megs of e-mail messages all in subdirectories. If you need me to
be a member, well I will rejoin. Your mod sounds great and I really wish to
avoid any damage as no doubt you possibly experienced with your hangup. Please
let me know what you think in relation to what I have mentioned above.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
>Message text written by Tony Renshaw
>>I am not far off mounting my flaps and setting up my outriggers on my
>Classic Mono. Reading past issues of "The Europa Flyer Issue 16", I read an
>article by John Scott of Cambridge where he mentions drilling out the OR1s
>and sleeving them with appropriately lengthed 3/8"OD and 1/4"ID sleeving so
>that the bolts supporting the OR1s don't rotate within the W21 plates
>creating wear. The other option is to lockwire the end of the bolts to
>avoid rotation, so that the OR1s do what they are supposed to do and rotate
>about the bolts, not make the bolts rotate. Any help or ideas on this or
>other problems with the outrigger setup would be appreciated. I have been
>out of the fold for a while and may have missed either factory solutions,
>or builder solutions to this part of the build and like all of us, I want
>to get it as good as I can the first time<
>
>In the very near future there will be a Europa Club mod published which
>will involve dual concentric sleeving and the use of a grease nipple to
>enable regular lubrication. The mod has been written and is awaiting
>approval from the UK PFA for general use on other British Europas. I
>initiated this mod having had an outrigger hang up on landing. Trial
>fitting has been carried out on my aircraft and one other Europa with good
>results so far (about 10 flying hours on each Europa with at least twice as
>many gear retraction/extensions). Wear is minimised and the leg is better
>supported. The main reason for outrigger hang ups are a slightly over
>tightened pivot bolt. Slack pivot bolts accelerate wear so hence this mod.
>
>Tony, as you are not restricted by PFA approval I can send you a copy of
>this mod provided you are a member of the Europa Club. Let me know if you
>are interested.
>
>Regards
>
>Nigel Charles

Reg