Sleeving Outrigger Pivot bolts

Subject: Sleeving Outrigger Pivot bolts
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 05:29:01
Message text written by Tony Renshaw
>I am not far off mounting my flaps and setting up my outriggers on my
Classic Mono. Reading past issues of "The Europa Flyer Issue 16", I read an
article by John Scott of Cambridge where he mentions drilling out the OR1s
and sleeving them with appropriately lengthed 3/8"OD and 1/4"ID sleeving so
that the bolts supporting the OR1s don't rotate within the W21 plates
creating wear. The other option is to lockwire the end of the bolts to
avoid rotation, so that the OR1s do what they are supposed to do and rotate
about the bolts, not make the bolts rotate. Any help or ideas on this or
other problems with the outrigger setup would be appreciated. I have been
out of the fold for a while and may have missed either factory solutions,
or builder solutions to this part of the build and like all of us, I want
to get it as good as I can the first time<

In the very near future there will be a Europa Club mod published which
will involve dual concentric sleeving and the use of a grease nipple to
enable regular lubrication. The mod has been written and is awaiting
approval from the UK PFA for general use on other British Europas. I
initiated this mod having had an outrigger hang up on landing. Trial
fitting has been carried out on my aircraft and one other Europa with good
results so far (about 10 flying hours on each Europa with at least twice as
many gear retraction/extensions). Wear is minimised and the leg is better
supported. The main reason for outrigger hang ups are a slightly over
tightened pivot bolt. Slack pivot bolts accelerate wear so hence this mod.

Tony, as you are not restricted by PFA approval I can send you a copy of
this mod provided you are a member of the Europa Club. Let me know if you
are interested.

Regards

Nigel Charles