Rescue Service

Subject: Rescue Service
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:42:09
All,

The Europa Rescue Service

Well, I have received an excellent response to the idea. All the comments
have been very positive, with offers of help such as use of trailers,
workshops, tools, loan of parts, technical help, ferrying parts/people,
accommodation, translation service, food, tea coffee, beer & sympathy.  So
far I have about 50 names on the list of volunteers. Apart from a liberal
spread across the UK I have had offers from France, Germany, Netherlands,
Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Canada and USA, so a true international rescue
service is evolving. As a sideline many people have thrown out an open
invitation to visiting Europa pilots just for a chat and a beer, so many new
contacts and friends can be made through the service.
We are pleased to announce the launch of the rescue service on 1st May 2002.
We have set aside a budget for a stock of spares to be made available for
immediate despatch or collection and have set out an initial plan of
operation. We will monitor and review the service from time to time and make
any changes or additions thought necessary. It is a new concept and only
time will tell if it is to be a success, any comments, thoughts and
experiences passed on will be used to improve the service in the future, so
keep them coming.

The rescue service will be available to all members of the club, and no
charge will be made for the service, but any expenses incurred by the club
or a volunteer must be paid by the person using the service. Volunteer's are
not expected to charge for their time and effort, but it would be expected
that any expenses they incur as a direct result of helping should be
reimbursed without the need for them to ask, in a similar manner to which
PFA inspectors work.  If volunteer's are left out of pocket after putting
themselves out to help, then they will not be to keen to help again - don't
abuse the service!

There will be one parts depot initially which will be at Laddingford
airfield in Kent, Peter Kember, Dave Watts & Sarah, operate from there, so
together with it being a strategic place for serving continental travellers
and having three flying volunteer's based there it should be a good start.
Any parts supplied by the club under the service must be REPLACED and
delivered back to the depot together with any carriage cost for both the
outward and inward delivery.

Several people have asked how involved they will become if they volunteer to
help, so I thought some explanation here might be in order.  The simple
answer is you can get involved as much or as little as you like. An offer to
make a few phone calls or give a lift to a local hotel is just as valuable
as being able fly across the channel with parts or to turn up at the scene
of crime with a trailer or mobile workshop. We do not expect you to be 'on
call' 24 hours a day 7 days a week waiting to go to the rescue. If you get a
call and you can't help, or it's simply not convenient you are under no
obligation. Anyone needing help should bear in mind that the rescue service
is voluntary, and not a commercial operation, we will do all we can to get
you on your way, but there is no guarantee's. In reality, for most of us, a
call for help will be a rare occasion, and if you do get a call it will most
likely be a good excuse to dodge off to the airfield or wherever and go play
with your toys - or someone else's. For those who are already playing, just
knowing there is a good chance of some help if you need it when far away
---From home is a very comforting thought.

Some people have expressed concern about having their details posted on a
list and made available to everyone, so the full list of volunteer's will
only be available to committee members. Anyone needing help can contact any
member of the committee who will release details to him or her of volunteer'
s likely to be able to help.  All the committee members details including
mobile phones numbers are printed on the inside front cover of the Europa
Flyer, so make sure you have a copy with you in the plane.

There will be a separate posting containing a questionnaire, I would
appreciate it if every one who has already volunteered to help, and any new
volunteer's would complete it and return it to me. Please DON'T hit the
reply button, send it to me direct jnaylor@avnet.co.uk

We are also compiling a list of inspectors who are prepared to travel out to
inspect stricken aircraft if required, which will also be made available via
a committee member.

Finally, if you have any spare parts or equipment that you think would be
useful to the rescue service and you are prepared to donate, loan or sell to
the club please let me know ASAP.

Jim Naylor