Flying: York and the Channel Islands

Subject: Flying: York and the Channel Islands
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:53:10
With the recent (almost) spring like weather here in the UK, I've at
last had the chance to blow the cobwebs off of my classic monowheel 912,
for two rewarding cross country trips in as many days.

On Sunday, I flew to York and spent the afternoon exploring the historic
city. I can thoroughly recomend it as a flying destination. As part of a
deliberate policy, and in order to reduce fuel consumption, I
purposefully held back engine RPM to just over 4800 for much of the
journey, though I do confess to climbing to silly altitudes to reduce
thermal discomfort (4 - 5000 ft).

Transit times (o/h to o/h) were 1hr 16 min up and 1hr 9 mins back.
Overall, average ground speed, allowing for 'wandering', was around 134
mph. I was able to achieve a reduced fuel burn rate of 14.5 litres/hr,
significantly less than the normal rate of 17.5 litres/hr at my normal
5250 RPM.

However, I was airborne for an extra 7 minutes or so (give or take).
Therefore, the total saving at least on paper, appears marginal. Kinda
put me off my economy drive !! I wonder if others have found the same ?

Today I flew to Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands. A fellow aviator
at Rayne suffered the misfortune of having to abandon his Bolkow there
last week, due to local authorities rather unfairly refusing take off
permission when visibility unexpectedly fell to a just few metres. It
then stayed that way for the next few days.

Our transit time was just shy of 1 1/2 hours, a staggering rate of
progress. (about 155 mph). My passenger was rightly astounded at what
can be achieved on just 80hp with a super smooth airframe. Meantime, I
tried to play down the influence of the hurricane which had blasted
though the channel during our 'short sea crossing'. (St Catherine's Pt,
Isle of Wight direct to Alderney, Channel Isles).

The solo return journey was accomplished in just under two hours, though
this routing was to the south of the Gatwick Zone and slightly longer.
It also included an unfair diversion, commanded by Jersey Approach in
order to avoid incoming commercial passenger traffic (why should they
get priority ?!)

Did I mention that fuel in Guernsey costs 46p/litre. Perhaps I shouldn't
broadcast this as the airfield has a finite capacity for accommodating
inbound from Blighty. (Our American and Antipodean cousins will of
course, not understand this subtle point)

Average consumption was 17.5 - 18 litres/hour for the trip, which was a
minimum of 400 Nm + meanderings. Both aircraft occupants were suitable
kitted out in orange semi-waterproof survival suits and lifejackets.

Guernsey airport was worryingly windy (15 kts, gusting 25 about 30
degrees off of the runway seemed to be a fairly consistent report).
However, both the Bolkow and my own aircraft accomplished the trip with
no problems, though our efforts to formate, ably assisted by the Jersey
controllers, was thwarted by visibility issues and a conspicuous
difference in typical cruise speed.

Flying to the Channel Islands is worthwhile and exciting. The seas are
cold and forbidding at this time of year, and the trip needs careful
planning and execution. Nevertheless, it is well within the capabilities
of most PFA aircraft, and when flown with care can be a very rewarding
experience.

Alan