Re: Aileron Front Bearing Setup

Subject: Re: Aileron Front Bearing Setup
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:16:14
Tony,

I have just completed this job and It wasn't as difficult as I anticipated.
The critical joint to get straight it appeared to me was the bond of the
bush CS03 to the tube CS04. What I did was to put a couple of turns of
masking tape around the tube, in such a position that it entered the inner
end of the bush by about 1mm, thus holding that end in exactly the right
position. I then clamped the tube in a vice as per the manual and bonded on
the bush. The outer end of the bush you can check visually to ensure that it
is central. I used the points of a couple of cocktail sticks at one stage
just to keep it that way. The other thing I found was that a straight Redux
mix was a bit thin and runny so on a later bond, I tried mixing a little
flox in and this made it stiffer and it didn't run out of the joint as
easily.

I think your film should be just about right. I used a 2 thou thick bit and
thought afterwards that it could have been a bit thicker.

I am just about to flox the assembly onto the cockpit module and have
discovered that if you open up the bolt holes in the module from 4.8mm
(3/16ths inch ) to 5mm., it allows the whole bearing assembly to waggle
about just a bit easier and thus 'self centre' and allow the bearings to run
freely.  I Reckon that the tiny amount of slack will be filled with flox on
assembly.  I'll let you know if I run into any other problems with the
floxing.

Cheers.

Richard Iddon (533)