Re: Do you want one????

Subject: Re: Do you want one????
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:46:10
All true, Peter.

I'd wager that if you called up any of the companies supplying the RV-n
aftermarket, and asked
for their engineering diagrams, they'd cheerfully NOT send you them.  Of
course, they're
actually in business to sell aftermarket widgets.

Denis isn't.  He's stated repeatedly that he's a professional engineer who
gets paid
for his DESIGN work.  Supporting a product is an unprofitable hassle.
If you're saying that Denis should NOT charge for an undocumented and
unsupported
design,  I'd agree with you.  If on the other hand he's providing a
documented,
supported, complete product including a fair estimate of the time he'll
spend answering questions
and the lost opportunity for other (more lucrative) work by doing so, his
price may be fair.
It may also be Denis' way of saying, "go away".

On the practical side, those who say "I want one" need to consider that,
unlike many of the
aftermarket products out there, an intercooler is a major modification to a
mission-critical
component of the aircraft.  If it fails, what will be the consequences?
Denis has the advantage
of having designed his intercooler.  His customers won't.  For every dollar
you
hand over, you have a right to require an increment of proof of "fitness for
purpose".
Denis needs to state exactly what he is offering before any money changes
hands.

Shaun