Re: Questions from a wannabee..

Subject: Re: Questions from a wannabee..
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:56:17
ilja fiers wrote:

> Dear group,
> In my opinion, the Europa can be built to 'real aircraft' standards, as
> opposed to other kits out there that will always look 'bolted together' no
> matter how much building goes into it.

Hi, Ilja!

Actually based on accident data in US, none of the popular kitplanes
have any problem at all in that regard.  The significant variances in
kits are flying qualities, ease of construction, and factory support.
What you may perceive is more cosmetic (and aerodynamic), and the
Europa especially has design details that facilitate a
production-aircraft look to the interior.

> If the detachable wings will never be used, there are other projects out
> there that are less expensive to build, and would fit my 'mission' just as
> well.

I doubt the easy wing-rig option has much impact on retail price.
Whether used or not can be moot due to a big advantage in construction
ease (maneuvering around wings in final stages gets old), and then
how/where it will painted.  Some designs have convenient parting lines
for painting disassembled, by self or auto body shop; some are
impractical.  Consider how post-paint, final assembly stages will be
done.  In US, there's airports where you won't be able to do that even
on the tie-down ramp, often not in a community hangar, even
no-painting in a T-hangar.  Or it's a long commute to a field where
you can do all this, but with a runway inappropriate for first
flights.

> BTW would it be a good idea to keep a
> Europa tied down outside? I hope any of you can shed some light, and would
> be very gratefull for any comments.

The monowheel like any taildragger - but sits lower than many, if tied
down on turf, will have eventual maintenance issues due to corrosion.
But it can be minimized in construction, as you've likely have read
here.  Some argue fiberglass should not be stored outside, but due at
least to fact that a well maintained alum structure can last virtually
forever.  Tube/fabric is perceived as in same boat as FG as to
longevity of paint and skins, depending on climate.  It's not so much
actual airworthiness after X years (isn't), as it is buyer perceptions
for later sale if never hangared.  One does have the option of covers
for top-pointing surfaces.  On a low-wing, much easier to cover the
wings.

Best,
Fred F.