Perils of checking static RPM

Subject: Perils of checking static RPM
From: david joyce <davidjoyce@beeb.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:13:55
CS prop at fine pitch and max power I yesterday wound up the engine facing a
12 knot wind with brake on and max up elevator. At about 80% power the plane
nosed
over. Fortunately I had only one eye on the rev counter and the other on
the plane and was able to cut power quickly enough to avoid totally spoiling my
day. With the wisdom of hindsight it was naive of me to expect to be able to
do this without the plane tied firmly down, but several seasoned aviators and
one PFA inspector knew the plan and didn't warn me off. I mention it because
Sod's law says there will be at least one more person out there equally naive
who is shaping up to doing a similar thing, and whose reflexes may have been
dulled
by a good night out.  David Joyce 402