Wing and Flap bonded brackets.

Subject: Wing and Flap bonded brackets.
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:59:12
Hi! All.
I was on the point of this e-mail anyway but today received the latest
Europa News letter and there happens to be an article in it about corrosion
protection.
I have just been tidying up my wing "FURNITURE" because now having the wing
dolly I was able to get them into the workshop under a decent light.
I found, much to my disappointment, a small amount of corrosion on the flap
brackets under the paint, evident by the paint showing signs of blisters.
When preparing the brackets I etched them with phosphoric acid diluted 5:1
washed off well
dried and then coated with Etch Primer (D360-1 with Toluene and Xylene)
Mixed 1:1 with Etch catalyst (D360-1) Then two coats of Plasti-kote metal
primer grey undercoat and at least two coats of white Plasti-kote gloss.
The oxide blistering the paint was white but close to the good metal it was
black. Has anyone any suggestions as to a) What I did wrong? and b) What
action to take now? (as a temporary stop gap I have cleaned them back to
white metal  recoated them with the etch primer and repainted them with the
plasti-kote .)
 c)Bearing in mind the invasive surgery needed some time in the future at
what cost structurally and minimal weight would it have been to make these
"captive" parts in stainless?
Builders in the stage of needing to take corrosive protection action need to
be extremely careful what "tune they play"

Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG