Indicator Lights

Subject: Indicator Lights
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:52:37
Message text written by INTERNET:forum@europaclub.org.uk
>I am installing my panel now and have a question. I am making a warning
light panel above the attitude gyro and found 6 nice small LED indicator
lights. I have green, yellow and red lights. I even cut the holes I was so
happy with the lights I found. The only problem is that when I apply the 12
volts to the yellow light, it looks red! I can't quite figure out what is
going on. It has a yellow lend, but when illuminated, it looks almost the
same as the red light. I either need to scrap them all and go with another
type, or make this work somehow.

Does anybody out there have any sources for electrical lights? Small ones
are the way I am going to save panel space.
<

At the risk of boring you with my approach I did my warning lights as
follows:

 I used rectangular lights (supplied in the UK- about 3/4" x 1/2", green,
amber, red and blue as required). Although this might be bigger than you
planned it can include the label within the translucent cover by printing
labels on clear sheet and cutting them just smaller than the cover. You
might find this uses less space than smaller lights with separate labels
and looks neater. I wired each bulb to a single test switch using diodes so
that a lights test can be achieved. The only problem is bright sunlight
---From behind making it difficult to see if a light is illuminated but I
guess that is a problem for most of us - rebating the lights into the panel
should help. I managed to fit a block of 8 above the flight instruments.
The rest had to go where ever space allowed. I am sure you should be able
to obtain suitable lights in the USA but let me know if you need my UK
source.

Nigel Charles