Re: acetone

Subject: Re: acetone
From: Bill & Sue <billandsueb@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:22:34
I agree with Alfred over the use of Vinegar- although it is less effective
than MEK on epoxy that has started to cure it is fine for cleaning up
uncured epoxy and we (Sue and I) just chuck our brushes, scissors etc in a
large bottle of clear pickling vinegar (from local supermarket) as we tidy
up after a layup.
You can splash vinegar about as much as you like and we both feel a great
deal safer with it!

We do however still use a respirator/gloves/barrier cream in deference to
the epoxy itself.

In the UK your supplier (of MEK, Acetone resin or whatever) will provide you
with a set of safety data sheets on request (the COSHH -Care of Substances
Hazardous to Health- regulations require it). These give clear guidance on
handling and health precautions.

For instance, SP systems (who supply the resin in the UK) faxed me a copy of
the safety data sheets for Araldite 420 B (redux) and the Ampreg 20 resin
and hardener.
Rather everyone asking them to fax a copy, perhaps this is something for the
list support site?

Bill

(Trigear 465)