Re: acetone

Subject: Re: acetone
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:55:51
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alfred Buess" <Alfred.Buess@shl.bfh.ch>

> In view of the poisonous nature of acetone and MEK, I always use
concentrated vinager for cleaning tools instead of acetone or MEK: Works
great, is very cheap, no poisonous effects to men and environment. We buy it
here in Switzerland as a houshold cleaning item. For cleaning surfaces
before bonding, acetone or MEK is unfortunatly a must.

> Alfred,
> #097 Monowheel XS 912S

Cheers,
            Alfred's remark reminds me that I re-use those cheap Chinese hog
bristle brushes several times over when daubing epoxy into queer corners.
They are dumped into Apple Cider Vinegar which contains 5% acetic acid by
volume. When the job is done, I swirl them about in the vinegar for a few
minutes and towel them off, then apply strong detergent to loosen any tough
blobs and finish off with pure hand soap and rinse clean. That way I take
about 3 minutes to clean and store several for the next job. When dry, they
smell (and taste) of pure hog bristle - just like the new ones in the pack.
            Great for wiping off anything sticky including hands....
Ferg