acetone & MEK

Subject: acetone & MEK
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:00:39

----- Original Message -----
From: <ScramIt@aol.com>
Subject: Re:  acetone & MEK

> Hi, just sharing an experience. I was using acetone, sold here in local
> hardware stores in one gallon cans. I had gone through about three gallons
> when a local boat builder told me to switch to MEK. MEK dissolves epoxy
but
> doesn't evaporate as fast. You can leave your brush and squeegee in a can
of
> it for use next time. I still use acetone to wipe parts before powder
coating
> and small cleanup jobs. The MEK has cut my chemical usage way down. In the
> time it took me to use three gallons of acetone, I've used 1 quart of MEK.
>
> SteveD.
> A217
>
> M.E.K. Methyl Ethyl Ketone
> "E-Z M.E.K. is very strong solvent with a medium to slow evaporation rate.
> Suitable as a thin and or cleaner for specialty paints, epoxy, fiberglass,
> and polyester resins."

OK, Steve,
            ....but please take all precautions regarding inhaling and
daubing on skin. It is a proven carcenogenic in larger doses, and has a
cumualtive effect. i.e: don't sniff in enclosed workshops, nor let it
evaporate near air ducting, nor wipe hands clean of epoxy with it. It does
have a lifetime effect, something like hardener.
Cheers and good luck
Ferg