Re: acetone & MEK

Subject: Re: acetone & MEK
From: ScramIt@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:24:59
Hi, just sharing an experience. I was using acetone, sold here in local
hardware stores in one gallon cans. I had gone through about three gallons
when a local boat builder told me to switch to MEK. MEK dissolves epoxy but
doesn't evaporate as fast. You can leave your brush and squeegee in a can of
it for use next time. I still use acetone to wipe parts before powder coating
and small cleanup jobs. The MEK has cut my chemical usage way down. In the
time it took me to use three gallons of acetone, I've used 1 quart of MEK.

SteveD.
A217

M.E.K. Methyl Ethyl Ketone
"E-Z M.E.K. is very strong solvent with a medium to slow evaporation rate.
Suitable as a thin and or cleaner for specialty paints, epoxy, fiberglass,
and polyester resins."