Re: bonding on wing skins

Subject: Re: bonding on wing skins
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 06:41:24
Richard:

Have a buddy or two back you up  mixing up small quantities of the stuff.
Use cake icing bags to apply the adhesive while mixiing of succeeding
batches is occurring.  I did one wing in a cooler garage and the other one
I did with the heaters  on for comfort.  My suggestion is to go with  the
cooler setup.  The cooler environment allows you more time to work.  I had
plenty of time in both instances. However when every thing was all set when
it came time to wipe the mess from the joints the warmer environment made
the stuff more tacky and more of a pain to clean up.  10 to 12 degrees F
makes a great difference.

Take the front and side flanges of the wing's lid and sand a good radius
along the botton edges where they will butt up against the wing's mating
feature.  However don't!!! butt up the two edges.  It is much much easier
to fill in a small gap than it is to sand down the lid if the leading or
outboard edge of the lid rides up on the radius.

Go throug a dry run of placing your weights and spreaders on the wing
making sure that they won't migrate or slide around on the slick surface.
I put every thing on and pushed around to make sure that that all bonding
surfaces were indeed mated and did not move further in contact.  It would
be helpful to pencil in on the lid where all the bonding surfaces are
underneath.

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ