Re: bonding on wing skins

Subject: Re: bonding on wing skins
From: Dave Simpson <davesimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:06:23
Richard,

When I bonded on my top, I followed a suggestion at the time to use self
tappers, rather than pop rivets or clecos to hold the two halves together.
This has the double advantages of permitting proper control of the glue line
ie. you can see the glue through the composite and hence control the amount
of squeeze needed to spread the glue nicely without completely extruding it
---From the gap; and the self tappers are easier to extract afterwards.  (I
greased mine but I don't think this was essential if you take 'em out early
enough).

You'll need two people and two bottles of beer on completion.  This is a
major stage, after which it looks like an aeroplane.  (Actually it's really
no big deal if you prepare properly - another case of the worry being worse
than the deed)

Good luck

Dave Simpson