customs & VAT [was: Position lights ...]

Subject: customs & VAT [was: Position lights ...]
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:43:15
Message text written by INTERNET:forum@europaclub.org.uk
>Has anyone building in UK been successful in getting one of these
end-user certificates? (I gues Nigel must have one.) I applied for
one a while back but have had no response from the Customs people. I
was using the forms and procedure recommended by the folk at Aircraft
Spruce UK office, so I thought they might know what worked. I haven't
chased it up, as I've not had to make any serious purchases from
overseas (yet!), but Nigel's mention of it prompts me to think I
should get it sorted.<

I got one by filling out a form I applied for from the UK Customs Office in
Bristol. About 3 years after I had stopped buying my avionics from abroad
they sent me a letter asking me if I still intended using the certificate
and as a result I have now cancelled it but it saved about 4% on all my
avionics purchases from abroad. The standard customs duty rate is 21.5% as
opposed to the unavoidable 17.5% VAT.

The address for this is:

Excise office
Froomsgate House