RE: Tailplane mass balance stops

Subject: RE: Tailplane mass balance stops
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:39:45
Hi! Steve.
I don't profess to be an authority but my balance weight stops just less
than 1" from the tail plane push tube.(I too had to throw away the silly
original stop then put in a much smaller diameter one lower down!)
Then on the up stroke the weight now stops about 3/8" before the top of the
fuselage where it hits a bed of silicone sealant.(I can't actually see it
but can feel the dimension with my fingers.)All this was achieved after the
factory decided on final inspection that I needed 13 degrees (one degree
more than in the manual) which meant a trip down the inside of the tail to
"wear" out,with it falling in my eyes, about 3/4" of nicely shaped 3/4"
thick plywood put there as a stop.  At that end of the movemnet one degree
on the tail plane converted to about 3/4" of balance weight movement.!
I guess I can claim to have the "tee" shirt as well on this one.
However Graham Singleton has published an interesting method of installing
the 'H' balance weight guides prior to fitting the fuselage top. Have you
seen it? May save you some hassle if it's not too late!
Regards
Bob H  G-PTAG