Re: Ailerons & tailplanes

Subject: Re: Ailerons & tailplanes
From: nigel_graham <nigelgraham@intercept.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 14:06:37
----- Original Message -----
A couple of tips I have gleaned whilst working on my flying surfaces.
Probably been aired before but, heck, I am still only a novice at this game.

1). Shaping the tailplane tips.  It states in the manual that the tip shape
is the same as the airfoil shape ............................

----------------------
Hi Richard,

If you want to produce an absolutely perfect tailplane or fin tip profile,
here's another trick (If you have a lathe).

1) Bond (5 min epoxy) 2 small scraps of plywood to each end of a suitably
sized and roughed out block of blue foam.
2) Set the foam up in your lathe, and using rough (80 grit) sand paper,
gently profile using a jig block section as your template.
3) You will end up with a perfectly profiled "torpedo". Cut it carefully in
two and voila - 2 tailplane tips.
4) Bond these to your tailplane cores - not forgetting to trim the core ends
back
by half their thickness - or you'll end up with slightly longer tailplanes.

I have also used this technique to produce extremely pretty airfoil
"blisters" to hide flap hinges and other protrusions.

Nigel