holes in foam wingtip question

Subject: holes in foam wingtip question
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:54:02
Ron Andrews, who's not online, has asked me to pass on a query on his
behalf. You can reply to me here on the forum or direct to Ron by
looking up his details on your Europa Club membership list. (And
note, incidentally, that he is one of those who has for a long time
advertised his willingness to help other Europa folk with the airside
& workshop facilities at his field.)

Ron would like to make a hole in the tip of each of his Classic foam
wings, to take a threaded insert. This is intended to ease handling
while spraying the wings, and also help with one-man rigging later.
He would like to be able to quote to PFA Engineering other
already-approved instances of such holes in the Classic wingtips,
such as for strobes and/or nav lights. There may also be some in UK
who have made a hole for a broom-handle or similar, as mentioned on
this forum by some US builders who made a spit to turn the wing over
for sanding or painting. Although we can't fly homebuilts at night
under UK rules, I'm sure some of the Europas at Kemble have wingtip
lights, but I can't remember which.

Anyway, Ron would like to hear from anyone else who has made holes in
Classic foam wing tips and has already got the blessing of PFA
Engineering for such carnage! Sorry, but experience outside UK is not
much use in this instance.

regards

Rowland