Re: Painting Alodined bits - or Not?

Subject: Re: Painting Alodined bits - or Not?
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 14:54:13
> I have just alodined various metal bits for my wings including the aileron
> push rod.  Should the parts also be painted or is the alodined surface
> sufficient protection?  Any opinions?
>
> Regards
> Rick Sivier

For sure an alodined surface is more corrosion-resistant than bare,
but merely installing the pushrod will abrade some off.  Except in
salty environments, the aluminum bits inside the wing will not corrode
into an unairworthy condition for a long time if ever.  I did paint
them all for cosmetics and for ease of inspection. Access thereto for
thorough looksee is not easy, so on mine it was paint and forget.

Of a bit more concern to me were the SS rod ends in the long pushrod
and galvanic corrosion.  Not too bad galvanically, but I assembled
these with wet zinc chromate. That kind of damage cannot be seen until
it gets bad.

Regards,
Fred F.