Re: RE: the low-drag "bucket"

Subject: Re: RE: the low-drag "bucket"
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:03:04
If it has, Don Dykins doesn't say so in his book on the Europa wing.
It requires a wind tunnel to observe, and often shows up only at lift
coefficients too low to sustain flight.  Hoerner hints that with the
location of max chord thickness on the Europa wing, sorry, won't
happen.  It has nothing to do with the "step," though, except in cases
where one doesn't have the power to accelerate to the cruise speed
where the phenomenon appears, but enough to stay there once in the
bucket.

NASA down the road here has about a dozen wind tunnels, and they all
can't be in constant use.  Do I need an appointment? :-)

Regards,
Fred F.