Flying: Interim results: Speed kit

Subject: Flying: Interim results: Speed kit
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:22:49

Europa Mk 1 'Classic'. Rotax 912.
Modifications: Plenum cold air mod. & speed kit.

C of G: 62.4 inches aft.
Take off weight: approx 1120 lb (468kg)

Prop: Warp Drive fixed pitch 3 blade ground adjustable, set slightly course.
Recorded engine RPM (FLYDAT): climb 4950. static 5100. max S&L. 5700 - 5750.

Test weather conditions:
Temp: + 6 degrees celcius. Clear sky
QNH: 1038 mb
Test height: 1100 ft AGL (1400 AMSL)
Wind (1000 ft): Reported as 360 degrees, 12 mph. (Met. office)

Notes.
1/ During test, all RPM figures were 0 - 50 RPM higher than indicated.
2/ The error in each of these results must be a minimum of +- 1.5 mph !
3/ TAS has been calculated by flying a triangular course and feeding GPS
ground
speeds into an Excel spreadsheet incorporating a formula which uses trig. to
resolve TAS, test wind speed and direction.
4/ Tests performed in July produced TAS of around 5 mph lower than equiv.
winter figures.

Test results: 18/12/01

RPM        TAS(mph)        Wind dir(deg)        Wind strength(mph)
5000        140                35                         12
5100        144                33                        10        (medium
cruise)
< 17 litre/hr
5300        149                20                        11        (fast cruise)
5500        154                34                        12        (max.
continous)
5700        161                32                        14        (firewall)

My TAS run of 5500 RPM on 14/12/01 also (independently) produced 154 mph.
(Wind. 70 deg, 16mph)

Comparable figures for similar met. conditions on 15/11/01 (WITHOUT the
speed kit).

RPM        TAS(mph)        Difference
4700        126
5000        135                 (-5)
5300        143                 (-6)
5500        149                 (-5)

5700        156                 (-5)

My conclusion: The speed kit has improved my aircraft TAS by approx. 5mph
throughout the range.

These results may be inaccurate. Obviously, they apply only to my aircraft.
However I have some confidence that a pattern is beginning to emerge. I do
not
suggest that others will necessarily measure the same values. I hope they
are
at the very least, interesting !

Regards,
Alan