Re: "intercooler"

Subject: Re: "intercooler"
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:54:34
I dunno, Ferg!  I just WAG'd the temps at 16,000, assuming you'll be
below the max airbox temp of 160F at 100% power.  For these purposes,
I understand we calculate from absolute zero, so the temp difference
between S/L and 16,000 is actually small (better winter performance is
aerodynamic effect also).  But 16" to 34" boost boost raises temp a
lot.

NASA has a 914-powered, unmanned aerial vehicle project, with target
altitude of 90,000 feet.  Still very cold, but at FL900, ambient
pressure is about .5" Hg.  Raise that to 30 inches for 80% power (best
they say they can do), and it requires a 3-stage turbo with _big_
intercooler.  Turbo outlet temps exceed 350F at full boost, net of
OAT.  Vented fuel cavitates too up there, so natch she's injected.

Nice also an agency that thinks in $10's of millions, could find
nothing more practical than a Rotax (as does the Defense Dept. for the
Predator UAV in Afghanistan lookin' for UbL).

Regards,
Fred F.