Re: Filling the panel

Subject: Re: Filling the panel
From: Bob Jacobsen <jacobsenra@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:33:58

Steve & All,

As mentioned I have the MicroMonitor & MicroEncoder install in N165BB.
Built both from kits and have been flying them for a year and a half so here
are the details.

You can download the installation & building manuals and get lots of spec's
and info.  You can also print out full size instuments (that look great
taped on your panel moulding!).

While checking for instruments I discovered the uEncoder so I ordered the
kit.  As soon as I received it and saw the quality of it I ordered the
uMonitor.  The reason I liked the uMonitor over some of the other units I
looked at were:

1.  All the main information shows on one screen (some require you to push a
button to see for example amps, or temp)
2.  It fit in my radio stack.
3.  I could build it myself.
4.  The price was - choke - resonable.
5.  It looked cool as heck
6.  It did everthing I wanted in one unit (besides all the engine functions,
fuel flow, totalizer, flight time etc.

It took me about 25 hours to built it and it was kinda nice to be able to do
something in the kitchen instead of the garage.  The kit quality is first
class.  Manuals, parts layout, cases and factory support are great.  Mine
powered up perfect and looked great in the panel.  Cliff & I took the
finished panel to our local EAA chapter meeting and everyone was wowed by
the whole thing (while Cliff & I were just wowed that all that wiring
worked!!).

I checked the tach against a digital lcd tach and had it checked by and A&I
when I had my prop balanced and it was dead on.  The unit has preformed
flawlessly since installed.  Best part is I really like using it.  Scans are
quick and easy.  You can adjust everthing to suit your installation and set
audio alarms for min/max and most readouts.  The fuel totalizer works
excellent and one button toggles over to fuel flow. Fun for me to fly around
with it reading 4gph!!

On my panel I used the fiberlite instument lighting system for the round
guages - so with the glow of those and the backlighting of the uMonitor,
uEncoder and big GPS the thing looks great at night.  I hope to have a good
night shot of the panel after I install the new COLOR C-Map plotter I am
going to get for christmas (Cliff, please tell my wife).

One more thing - go for the uEncoder at the same time.  I bought it because
I needed an altitude encoder and Tony K had one - and I wanted to be as cool
as Tony, but woah!!! what a great instument.  I don't even look at the round
things in the panel at all.  It gives me precise, precise rate of climb,
altitude, heading, airspeed - the encoder works great and it looks like it
belongs in a high tech plane.

So here is the real scoop:

Guages in my panel I really look at:
Horizon, uMotitor, uEncoder, GPS, G Meter

Guages I virtualy never look at:
Airspeed, Altimeter, Compass, Turn & Bank, Fuel Qty

Bummer the FAA requires most of the ones I never look at!  And if the
uMonitor had a G Meter in it - it would be the perfect guage.

Cheers all from the Great Nothwet!  (I meant Northwest or maybe I didn't!)

Bob Jacobsen
A131 N165BB

p.s.  Cliff Shaws plane is AWESOME!!  website coming soon.

p.s.s.  You can see my panel at www.galaxyhobby.com/europa.htm