Re: Yet another question - Pitch tube containment

Subject: Re: Yet another question - Pitch tube containment
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:56:09
To match the elevator travel to the mass balance arm travel it should
normally be sufficient to make an adjustment to the TP 18A adjustment screw.

You mention that the down travel is limited to 11.7 degrees but you do not
say what the up travel is. Also you do not make it clear whether it is the
elevator that is 11.7 degrees down or the mass balance arm.  If I remember
correctly, the only thing which restricts this amount of adjustment
available, is when the mass balance arm weight comes into contact with the
main elevator pitch push rod (hence the need for the dowel and a rubber hose
stop at the bottom of the arm travel).

Ideally you need to disconnect the main elevator pitch push rod, so that the
rest of the control assembly does not interfere with your adjustments.  Once
you have got the tail plane and mass balance arm angles set correctly you
can then and reconnect the main push rod and adjust the rest of the control
assembly as necessary.

The important  thing is that from top to bottom you have a TOTAL travel of
18 degrees (ie: 13 + 5 ). Incidentally my manual calls for a setting of 12
degrees (elevator up) but maybe this is different in the newer kits.

hope this helps

CP