Capacitance fuel gauge installation

Subject: Capacitance fuel gauge installation
From: Frank Mycroft <frankm@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 22:19:47
A number of people have asked me for more information on the capacitance gauge
installation in G-BWYD.  I can't tell you the name of the manufacturer, as the
builder has forgotten it, but the device came with a tube into which the probe
fits.  It is about 1" in diameter with a flange on the top to bolt the probe
onto, and it has tappings for pipe connections at the top and bottom.  It is
mounted with a bracket screwed to the back of the rear baggage bay bulkhead,
just
below the access panel.  The fuel feed is from the second tapping on the port
side outlet fitting on the tank, (the fuel return from the pump goes to the
second tapping on the starboard side), and of course goes to the lower fitting
on the gauge pipe, while the upper tapping on the pipe goes to the second vent.
It will only read correctly when in level flight, but this is not a problem
as one generally fills the tank brim full on the ground.  In other respects
it seems a good solution as no new holes need to be drilled in the tank, and
the probe is readily accessible.

Frank Mycroft