Re: FAR-65-E

Subject: Re: FAR-65-E
From: Brian Rauchfuss - PCD <brauchfu@pcocd2.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:01:27

> For U.S. builders, AC 20-139 has the checklist (Form 8900-38) used by
> FAA to determine kit eligibility.  It lists the basic steps throughout
> the build, divided between "fabricate" and "install," and allows for
> fabrication of tools of fixtures.  Other items (autopilot, lighting
> systems) are write-in items.   You sum up who did what and do the
> math.  Instrument installation is only one line item, complexity
> ignored.  Modify it, and you also credit yourself with the
> fabrication.  Painting doesn't count, but fiberglass filler should.
>
> So anyone buying a partial project is encouraged to utilize this
> checklist.  After 30 yrs with IRS, I can certify that many people have
> the ability to fill out a form with enough imagination to make the
> case (here primary builder), but still be on the good side of legal!
> :)

The key point to remember is that the primary builder does not have to have
done 51% - all the amateur builders put together have to have done 51%.  There
is no requirement that I know of for someone to be the "primary" builder,
it is just whichever of the amateur builders applies for the repair
certificate.